Wednesday, September 3, 2008

healing circle.

so i was in a production recently in august and wow it was amazing. being a part of the play gave me strength when i didnt feel like doing anything, when i didnt feel like i could make it back in july and august. i would just sit in my room or walk the dog and learn the lines to my parts. being in the play was beautiful! i loved it! i felt so free and so alive and so everything i have ever wanted to be.

After the play I had a lot of people come to me and ask me what i did for a living, people told me i should quit that and just be an actress. other people told me that acting was obviously a passion for me.

and it is. which is why i am going to audition for some more opportunities as they come along and we are planning to put our production on again a few more times this year.

I also need to buckle down and commit to finishing the play i am working on about depression in the black community. it is SO needed right now the more and more i talk to people and talk to my therapst i realize how much depression in the black community and all mental illnesses in the black community need to be addressed. So i am going to really start working on that especially since i am not working right now and i have the time to do it.

So like i said the play was awesome, it was sold out each night and just a great opportunity to share and love and educate people about the politics of black womens bodies and our sister saartjie.

but most importantly, i met some of the most incredible women on this earth. they were all so amazing there are not enough words to describe them. this came to mind...


born/made/bleeding/proud in the image of God
fractured pieces molded as one
these are the women i have been thirsting for

On the night of the dress rehearsal i decided to share my story with these wonderful women. and in that moment, my testimony, my pain became a catalyst for the healing circle that we started. one by one women began to share their pain and their issues and how blessed they were to know they were not the only ones carrying heavy burdens. even in therapy. even on medication. and i cried. one sister held me tight and thanked me for choosing life. she repeated over and over "thank you for choosing life"

and i thought how amazing that i have only known these women for 2 months, but the people i have known for years turned their backs on me. never checked on me. didnt thank me for choosing life when i could have just died.

i was able to commune with these women. to become one with them and i am truly blessed because of it. God is so awesome for bringing them into my life. and now i think, sure i lost 4 or 5 friends, but i have gained 12 beautiful amazing wonderful talented blessed strong powerful sisters that i know i will never let go of. for we have become one powerful beautiful collective.

and i smiled.
no longer thirsty for something real
but satisfied by the beautiful light i am reflecting from my 12 sisters.
i love you all sooooo much.
thank you for loving me into healing...
a circle we shall forever be.

[i will most definitely make an announcement when we go back on stage in the next few months]

No comments: